Dear IFSA World!
Would you like to become more involved with what happens in IFSA? A new opportunity is here – you can now apply to become an IFSA Official for the 2019-2020 period!
We are in search of an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who will serve IFSA in the capacity of Head of Language Sub-Commission. The term of this position will be for the remainder of the current IFSA year (until IFSS 2020). This individual should be from one of IFSA’s local committees.
As the largest global students’ association for forestry and environmental studies, diversity is one of our main strengths when it comes to providing a platform to discuss multiple ideas from varying backgrounds and perspectives. However, we acknowledge the challenges that are associated with diversity when it comes to effective communication between members. On the contrary, it has also provided us with the opportunity to learn second languages from native speakers regardless of the language.
As IFSA’s official language is English, this language will be our core focus. In addition to that, the official languages of the United Nations (Spanish, French, Chinese, Russian, Arabic) and other languages which are not part of official languages will/can be part of the language exchange plan, however, this is dependent on the availability of eligible mentors.
The Language Sub-Commission will be situated under the Capacity Development Commission. Taking up this new and exciting role allows you to apply your creative problem-solving skills and to come up with your very own vision and solutions for the pressing problems of one of the largest students’ associations in the world. As the Head of the Language Sub-Commission, you are a vital component of IFSA’s future strategy at the very centre of our association. While you are expected to be motivated, proactive and solution-oriented, the role rewards you with a chance to acquire new skills and to gain an in-depth understanding and appreciation of the diversity of languages whilst contributing tremendously to the work of IFSA globally. We are looking forward to your application!
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit native speakers/ proficient speakers (as mentors) in the language of English, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, French and other languages.
- Open call for mentees who would like to participate in language exchange with others
- Assign and form groups of mentors and mentees
- Come up with projects and plans to motivate the members to engage in the language learning.
- Leading the creation of short video clips in different languages, on promotions or campaigns that IFSA will engage in
Collaboration and relationship:
- Cooperation with the Cultural Competency Commission
- Collaboration with the Mentorship Sub-commission to participate in the mentorship program set up by the sub-commission
Desirable skills and attributes:
- Can work independently with the least supervision
- Have an overview of future action and plan
- Doesn’t have to have the knowledge or proficient in all of the languages stated above in the description, but at least an experience in tutoring or language exchange in at least two of the languages stated above.
- Experience in facilitating group discussion
- Leadership skills
- Responsive, proactive and teamworking skills
- High-level of motivation
How to apply:
You must provide the following documents. Both documents (1 & 2) must be submitted as a SINGLE PDF file. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- A letter from your Local Committee (LC) President verifying that you are a member of the LC.
- A motivation letter and strategy for the position (not more than 1 page, font size 12)
- A three (3)-minute video about your motivation and the strategy for the position.
Your letter of motivation must answer:
- Why do you think that this position is important for IFSA?
- Why would you want to become an official for this position?
- How would you achieve this positions main tasks?
- Do you think you have the right skills for this position? What are they?
- What international events are relevant for your position, and will you be able to attend them?
- What would your key goals for the year be?
- Why do you think that this position is important for IFSA? How much time will you be able to commit to carrying out this position’s tasks?
- What, from your understanding of the role do you think your work will be focused on?
All applications must be sent to: email@example.com
All applications must use the subject: HEAD OF LANGUAGE SUBCOMMISSION application – YOUR NAME
Any application which does not meet the requirements and instructions listed shall be disqualified.
DEADLINE: 8th -10- 2019 – 23:59 CET