Greetings everyone !
IFSA has been invited to attend the Caux Summer Academy on Land, Security and Climate meeting in Geneva, Switzerland between 1-5th of July 2020. The topic for the event is: The connection between land, security and climate. More information about the event and program can be found here.
When and Where – The Summer Academy will take place at the Caux Conference and Seminar Centre in Caux, Switzerland (July 1-5th). All attendees will be living together at Caux Palace – established at 1946. Hosting the initial dialogue which lead to the establishment of the European Union – being a transcendental place of dialogue ever since.
The Summer Academy runs alongside and interacts with, the Caux Dialogue on Environment and Security (July 1-5th).
Both events are organised by Initiatives for Land Lives Peace (ILLP) in partnership with the UN Commission to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), IUCN, and the Geneva Centre for Security Policy (GCSP).
During this 5 day residential course you will:
- Deepen your understanding of the main challenges in the nexus between land, security and climate;
- Increase your capacity to respond more effectively to land security challenges;
- Enhance your analysis of the strengths and limitations of existing responses and increase your ability to articulate more effective alternatives;
- Exchange views among peers, global experts and practitioners and create long-lasting networks.
- Become a member of the GCSP Alumni programme
Experts to present
Benoît Girardin, Professor of Ethics, Political Philosophy and International Relations at the Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations. Former Head of Swiss Development Cooperation in Pakistan, Madagascar and Romania
More names to follow shortly
Experts from previous year include
Dr Dennis Garrity, Drylands Ambassador, UN Convention to Combat Desertification, Founder and Chair, Global EverGreening Alliance, Former Director-General, World Agroforestry Centre
Mr Mukhtar Ogle, Secretary, Strategic Initiatives, Cabinet Affairs Office, Executive Office of the President of Kenya
IFSA has the opportunity of sending 4-6 delegates to the event. The initial cost of participation is 3000CHF. However, partial funding is expected – We are currently seeking funds to cover the expenses of the delegates.
Applicants will be considered for, external funding by the supporters of Caux Summer Academy. Any good applicant who also brings partial funding will be strongly considered. During the event the successful applicant will be an acting representative of IFSA.
Who should attend?
This course is for professionals in nature and forestry – including researchers, midterm professionals, diplomats and NGO’s.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have a high level of self-motivation and strong team building skills;
- Have good communication skills;
- Be a current Ordinary IFSA Member of your LC;
- Preferably, have knowledge and experience on the effect of conflicts relating to rights of ingenious people, land use and collaboration.
If you would like to participate send an email to [email protected]
The mail must include: a 1-2 pages motivation letter (stating why you think you would make a good candidate and what your motivations are)
The deadline for applications is Tuesday, March 21th, 2019 at 23:59 (CET).
Bo Sprotte Kofod
Regional Representative of Northern Europe
CDES Steering Group